[NTLK] MP2100U For sale/Trade

From: Alexander Goss (zandergoss_at_marmothall.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 00:17:57 PDT

Hi all, I have to admit, it's been a long time since I've emailed this
list, let alone look at it, but I need to get a little bit of money for
my G5 (really now), and seeing as how I now have my second eMate, I'm
looking to sell my MessagePad 2100 (upgraded prior to my acquisition in
Oct. 2001). The screen is shattered, yet one can see the "Do you want
to reset?" upon powerup. The screen shattered sometime around November
2002, and since then it has been sitting around unused. One other
problem: it has a recessed NIC port. I was told by Dr. Newton and
several list members that this is a relatively common and fixable
problem, should the buyer decide to repair this Newt to near-original
quality (which is, I assure you, quite easy with a new screen). I am
trying to sell this stripped down to the bare unit, no stylus, no PC
blanks, no flip cover, no battery, no AC (I know you all have one)
because I would like to get an original 2100 as soon as I can, and I
feel that I can save considerable money when it comes time to buy that
if I already have these items.

The Newt has minor scuff marks on one corner and has 2 corners which
have been rubbed enough to remove a little bit of the finish. I would
be lying if I said the flip-cover clips worked 100% of the time, but
they do work reliably. As I've said, with a new screen and a fixed
port, this would be one Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine (well, maybe
not bright, but y'know...).

I am looking for at least $50, or best offer.
*If you have an offer, please email me off-list at
zandergoss_at_gmail.com, subject "Newton Offer."*

Please realize that due to the condition of the screen, it will
obviously be an as-is sale.

I feel that I must stress this:

-----
THIS IS AN AS-IS SALE
-----

I do not have pictures available at this time (approx. 2:15AM), but if
you are sincerely interested, I will try to get some ASAP. However, I
will be away from my computer (and Newton) for several days near this
weekend, so I may take a short while to respond with pictures in hand.
If this is an inconvenience, I am sorry, but I must visit my
grandmother who has had open-heart surgery and a stroke recently, no
joke.

If I cannot sell this to devoted Newton fans, I will have to bring it
to eBay, but I am trying to avoid that very much, as I have never sold
over eBay and don't wish to start until such time as I absolutely must.

Okay, now maybe I'm pressing on a little too far when I say this, but I
say it honestly: I have been fascinated with the Newton since I first
heard about it, and as soon as I got to tinker around with Ben Tweel's
and Ben Gottlieb's Newtons, I knew I was getting one. Since then, I
have tried to always maintain a functioning Newt that I use at least
somewhat-regularly, and have had a lot of respect for the dedicated
folk who continue to develop for and support the Newton. May all of
you have a prosperous and Green-filled life!

Zander

P.S. If you have an original MP2100 in fair-good condition (3/4-4/4 by
the GEM Enterprises scale) that you'd be willing to trade for my 2100u
+ $, please contact me off list, zandergoss_at_gmail.com, subject "Newton
Trade."

"Imagine the disincentive to software development if after months of
work
another company could come along and copy your work and market it under
it's own name... without legal restraints to such copying, companies
like Apple could not afford to advance the state of the art"

-Bill Gates, 1983 (New York Times, 25 Sep 1983, p. F2)

I hate Microsoft