[NTLK] Software recommendations?

From: keith (keith_at_vortex.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 10:23:08 PDT

I've now installed a serial port in my 2K.
(Pretty easy, too! I made sure the wires from the switch didn't go
beneath the serial port card's edge, as that would have made it sit
up a little high - and it fits in very well.)

What I need to know first is... what software should I use to get
packages installed?

In the end I want to do this with my Mac, running OS X 10.3 or later.
I don't have a USB-serial adapter yet, and the old serial-equipped
Macs in my attic are probably in poor shape. So - I'll have to start
off by finding a serial cable to use with my PC.

If I can get the necessary packages installed for the Intel wireless
card I have (listed as compatible with the Newton) then I can use
that and never need a wired connection again, so that's what I need
to install first.

To recap:

1.)
What's the best (easiest) utility for downloading packages from a PC?
I'm using WinXP, if that makes any difference.

2.)
What packages do I need to install on a 2K model to get the Intel
PRO/Wireless 2011 wifi card working so I can then download packages
from my Mac via my AirPort network? The Labo WavLan package I have
already, but do I need anything else?

3.)
Once the above is sorted, what do you-all recommend for package
installation and everything else from a Mac running Mac OS X?

Phew. Thanks in advance, I'm constantly amazed by the collective
knowledge there is here!

      Keith Martin   Technical Editor, MacUser magazine
      MacUser Help   mailto:help_at_macuser.co.uk
      direct (work)  +44 (0)20 7907 6360
            mobile   0790 954 1365