Re: [NTLK] [OT] new virus delivery?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 16:20:46 PDT

This happened to several of the email accounts on my
tek-ed.com domain. Plus it looks like there is some
kind of random, name generator that is tacking on
various names to my domain and sending out that email
address as the "from" address.
Since I own the domain, I check the headers of the
emails and if I find 3 or more coming from the same
netblock (I check ARIN to make sure) I send the
contents of the email to the owner of the netblock
(also from ARIN, or more likely, APNIC) Requesting
them to police these violations. I usually get replys
from humans appologizing for the issue that that they
will take care of it. And they generally do. But there
are so many spammers doing this, it's impossible to
get rid of them all!
The worst thing is that the novice user will get
bounce-backs from bad spam using their address and
they are confused by what they see. That's why, I put
an email filter in my server to have every bounce back
come to me. I then go through them and forward any
legitimate ones...it works for me, because I only have
10 email accounts on my server...I cant' imagine what
is done if you have hundreds or thousands of users...
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2004, at 11:20 PM, Chris Edwards wrote:
>
> > Hi, I have had a few iffy emails that pretend to
> be returned emails,
> >

> A _few_??? Gads! I've been inundated!!!! I've never
> been this flooded
> before. I have no idea what it is, but it's the
> worst infestation I've
> ever had, and mine are all like yours. It's like my
> email address has
> been turned into everybody's uncle for spamming. :-(
> Frustrating...
> --
> -Jon Glass
> Krakow, Poland
> <jonglass_at_usa.net>

=====
"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the decision."
 - Benjamin Franklin