[NTLK] I am developing a bunch of new eBooks for the Newton

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 10:29:07 PDT

Hello Everyone,
I thought I would submit a quick progress report:

The SCET "Writer's ToolKit" User's Manual took a few setbacks, owing to
problems with my scanner. I started off by scanning the docs as is, but then had
to manually tweak each page, to remove scan errors and to perform other
miscellaneous editing tasks. Not satisfied with the results, I scrapped that effort
and then tried to scan each page in PDF format. It worked alright, but I had
some concern about the quality of the finished scanned docs -- the resulting
PDF files were slightly fuzzy and not as dark as I would have liked. I
re-configured my scanner, and I am beginning to re-scan each page of the hard copy
manual. Hopefully, the third time's the charm!

I have slowly but surely been accumulating more copyright free text docs for
conversion into Newton-compatible eBooks. What slows this process down is
that the NewtonPress app sometimes refuses to play nice, locks up, or crashes my
desktop PC. Sometimes, NewtonPress refuses to allow the creation of
sub-topics for the Table of Contents. In those cases, I simply create the eBook minus
a TOC. Most of the eBooks have a Table of Contents, however. I am creating a
master file, which will include all of the eBooks, as well as the NP! files
and .RTF files.

The book subjects range from ethnography to history to accounts of unique
scientific expeditions. There are a few "technical " docs as well. I am
planning to burn everything to a CD-Rom and then forward that on to Victor, for
uploading onto the www.unna.org website. I'll try to post an updated list of
completed eBooks in the near future. I hope this is helpful, and I welcome
feedback.

Matt K.

PS I missed the dream sequence portion of the Newtontalk list!

Charlize Theron = "totally spankable" ;o)
Jennifer Anniston = reasonably attractive, but overrated and slightly
irritating :^/