[NTLK] Newton serial interface: RS-232 or RS-422?

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 11:24:18 PDT

Not being a hardware geek, only just barely knowing a DB-9 from a
DIN-8, and being entirely new to Newtons, I'm finding it difficult to
troubleshoot the non-functioning serial connection between my TiBook
and the Newton 2100 I just got. I stumbled across something on the web
that seemed to suggest that all serial ports are not created alike:
That there is a difference between RS-232c and RS-422, the former of
which typically uses DB-9 connectors, the latter of which seems to
typically use mini DIN-8 connectors.

So, here goes:

   * What is the serial port on a Newton? RS-232? RS-422? Something
else?
   * I have a USB->RS-232 adaptor. Will that work with the Newton
(using a DB9->mini DIN-8) or do I need something that is going to
translate signal levels?
   * How do I build an "external loopback connector"? (I'm guessing I
just need to connect a few pins -- but which ones?)
   * What is the Newton serial port's pin configuration?
   * What is the SER-001 board's port pin configuration?

Some other questions:
   * Has anyone managed to get a computer running Mac OS 10.3.X to
connect to a Newton OS 2.1 device using the serial port? If so, what
was your set-up? What hardware/software did you use?

   * What is the normal timeout for the "Dock" function in the Newton?
Mine times out after a mere 13 seconds, which seems very fast to me.

   * Is there any serial connection software (other than "Dock") built
into the Newton that I can use to test whether the serial connection is
working? Just a local echo of characters would be fine... I could use
minicom on the Mac to ensure that signals are getting through.

Sorry about the barrage of questions, but this is just confusing the
hell out of me, and I'm not finding answers in FAQs or through Google.

M.