Re: [NTLK] Newton serial interface: RS-232 or RS-422?

From: Martin Howard (mvhoward_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 22:56:24 PDT

On Jul 28, 2004, at 18:34, Charles Broderick wrote:

> I have gotten my eMac running 10.3.3 to connect to my Newton 2100
> using the
> serial port via an adaptor with both NewTen and NCU in classic. I have
> had
> to use a Keyspan adaptor for both; the OS X drivers work for NewTen
> and the
> OS 9 drivers work for Classic. Is this the adaptor you have been
> using? You
> haven't mentioned the brand...

I finally got it running by disgarding the DB9->mini DIN8 adaptor that
I'd bought and soldering my own. I found the necessary pin
configurations on NS Basic's and UNNA's web pages. With that in place,
NewTen works (although somewhat intermittantly) and Escale still
crashes every time it tries to recover the Newton's name. Come to
think of it, I'm not sure my Newton *has* a name...

M.