Re: [NTLK] Dock mp 2100

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 09:32:17 PDT

>> there is a way to simulate a actual phone line, have a copy of how to
>> build
>> the thing somewhere, it was for connecting two or more old macs.

Yes you can connect older computers using a rig like that. Basically you
put a 9v battery on the hot wire and connect the two computers. The reason
people did this was back in the early online games that were played between
two computers on the phone line and a long game (or several small games)
would get expensive. So what some people did is if they could get together
they did and brought their computers to play the game without any phone
charges (just connect the wire and tell the modem to go "off hook" and bingo
you are connected). I made one myself and I think I still have it around
here somewhere.

The only problem was the battery could go dead during your game and then you
would be quite peeved (especially if you were winning against a tough
opponent). But you can replace the battery with a good quality 9v adapter.

I have no idea if this will work from Newton to Newton. But I suppose in
theory it might be plausible. But someone more knowledgeable than I could
answer for sure.

-Dan