Re: [NTLK] (OT?) MS Tablet article - Rebuttal

From: Alan Toops (alantoops_at_cs.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 09:16:51 PDT

On 6/4/04 11:59 AM, "Andrei Chichak" <acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net> wrote:

> This is the second tablet computer "wave" that I have seen. The first was
> when Fujitsu came out with a tablet that was so heavy that it came with
> velcro straps to attach it to your arm...
>
> Anyway, here is an article from Embedded Systems Programming magazine:
>
> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=21401280
>
> Does anybody remember Microsoft Windows for Pen Computing?
>
> Andrei
Andrei,

I remember using a GRID laptop with Windows for Pen Computing. It weighed
about 7-8 lbs. The screen slide back and up to expose the keyboard. Of
course it was a black and white screen. The pen was RF with a distressing
tendency to break easily or simply disappear into every nook and cranny in
the office. Not to mention the terrible handwriting recognition of the Pen
system.

Other than the "cool" factor at meetings, it soon grew tiresome to writing
in ink on the screen and spend literally hours trying to get it into Word!

In addition, it was one of the slowest laptops I ever used.

alan
Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive.