Re: [NTLK] 2100/GPS

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jun 05 2004 - 12:18:01 PDT

On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 12:06 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
> I'd like to know of any Listie experiences with the CompactFlash GPS
> receivers/software. Specifically, which GPS units are known to work
> and what
> application(s) you're using.

OK, two things have come to mind:

The "free" software for Trimble that I was thinking of, is
Tripmate/Emate GPS View from:
<http://www.provide.net/~hdodgson/emate.html>
Harry was mailing out the full version he had if you asked for it.
That was some time ago though.

Teletype was one that seemed free but then there was confusion on the
list and its status changed; last read on the archived list someone was
still saying it was free to use but I don't think it's ever made it to
UNNA. If anyone knows for sure that would be good to confirm either
way.

<http://www.cs.kent.ac.uk/projects/mobicomp/Fieldwork/Software/>
FieldNote: neat looking software for Trimble and regular NMEA units;
it's released under GPL now and all the code from 2 phases of the
project, is available. I've never run this but I've been meaning to
try it; I'd completely forgotten about it now being GPL'd. Might be
something there for someone to work with. More for making field notes
than making maps though.

Brian