[NTLK] Availworks tip

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 17:09:13 PDT

Hi all,
With the current discussion on Availworks I thought I would mention a great
little trick I found out about Availworks some time back. Availworks uses
the printer paper size to base how it renders the document. So if you just
want to do word processing, it is an advantage to shrink the width from 576
(for a regular USA legal sheet of paper) to something that will fit on your
screen, like 230 for the MP1x0, and probably 288 for the MP2x00 although I
have not tested that exact number. This way you don't have to keep
scrolling width-wise as you type out your document., just vertical.

The simple way to do this is to get out your favorite soup editor and go
into the system soup. Then find the entry "user configuration" (it is
usually the first one in the soup). And then look up the slot "papersize".
Go into that slot and find "right:512" (or whatever width of paper you are
using) and change it to 230. Now when you go into Availworks, you won't
have to scroll sideways! And when you are done just change it back to 512.

Now if you are not confident on editing soups DON'T DO IT! You can really
mess up your Newton if you don't know what you are doing. Perhaps I or
someone else can create a package that will add the right sized paper to the
list of paper sizes in the system preferences and avoid hacking the soup.

-Dan