[NTLK] Something more irritating than off-topic posts...

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 15:45:52 PDT

To me, the only thing more irritating than off-topic posts are people who
don't contribute anything back to the community. They passively view and speak
up now and then, ONLY when they can personally gain a new Newton perk for
themselves.
They hoard parts, download software, and they wait for others to step forward
and do the work for them.

Take for example the guy the other day that wanted some "Flyboy" title made
into a Newton book. Did he ever bother sending the text file to me, as I
requested? Of course not. That would require work on his part. I guess I'm
supposed to go out of my way to follow the web link and download the text, AND
create the Newton book for him. I'm hoping that he's checking out NewtonPress for
himself and making the book that he needs.

Then, there's the fellow in Australia or New Zealand that posted a note a
while back, asking about the modem capabilities for his older model Newton. I
e-mailed him with an offer for a free "cigarette" modem that would have cost him
exactly shipping charges, plus a ten dollar donation to Newtontalk (I know
that some of the other Newton members have the donation stipulation when sharing
spare parts). The guy disappeared when he realized he was not going to get
the modem for absolutely free. I guess it's too much to expect some of these
people to pay for shipping free parts to them. Do you need somebody to wipe
your @$$ for you, too?

Another example: I recently sent an MP 2100 motherboard to a guy in France,
so he could fix his broken Newton. I haven't heard so much as a peep from him;
not even an acknowledgment that he received the e-mail I sent the day of
shipment. So much for professional courtesy.

I issue the following challenge to every Newton member on this bulletin board:
Make an effort to contribute something, anything, to promote the growth of
the Newton community. You can create Newton books, develop new software, share
your spare parts; if you have broken Newtons or other Newton-related hardware
that could benefit others in the community, consider donating or selling such
hardware at a nominal cost. You don't need three or four Newtons. If you
think you do, then fine. Let your kids use one, or give one to the neighbor's
kid. Then, there's research. Contact school districts and check with IT
people, to see if you can locate batches of idle Newton hardware that could benefit
others. The only way we're going to keep the platform strong is if every
member contributes something to the cause.

Don't just passively read the bulletin board until the day that you NEED
something.
Think of a way to get involved, to help the community that has given of
itself to help you.

Now, get off your @$$ and do something useful!

Matt K.