Re: [NTLK] Major bluetooth update - we Newtoneers following suit

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 01:03:59 PDT

>Apparently someone has found a way to triple the data rates

Not likely for Newton -- The E-Man explained to me that while BT
(currently) has a lower bandwidth than WLAN, both are still way over the
Newton's maximum bandwidth capacities.

>and lower the power consumption of existing bluetooth devices,

Read more specifically this:

"The SIG says EDR will consume less power than the current version - it
reckons EDR devices will eke out battery power for twice as long as
Bluetooth units do today. [[[TWICE, he says! But it gets even better --
DJV.]]] And the new specification also provides improved facilities to use
several functions or devices simultaneously, due to more available
bandwidth." (The Register,
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/10/faster_bluetooth)

Now THAT would be extremely cool. Using half the power, but allowing
simultaneous connections -- i.e. synch with yer laptop while using a BT
keyboard while logging on to the web via yer mobile phone...). It's totally
Entdecke die Möglichkeiten, as the Swedish say (according to the Germans).

Q: Is this Enhanced Data Rate specification something that relates to the
BT drivers (i.e. Mr. Koeppen's Blunt), or does it relate to the BT device's
firmware (i.e. require a manufacturer firmware upgrade)?

Q: Does EDR's lower power consumption also mean even less RF smog? (BT
already clocks in with much less than WLAN, says our Eckhart...)

Cheers,

DJV.