Re: [NTLK] Error when tapping Notes in Names: viewClass???

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 17:27:01 PDT

>If I do as Dan suggested, remove the slot (!not the soup! - takes all
>of Names....) the Names card presents itself with no note. I can then
>add a note, and copy the previous content into it (if I remember to
>move it somewhere first) and it will be fine. This is a painful
>solution since it is not possible to search out a note one wants to
>fix in SoupKitchen (me thinks).
>
>Can anyone make any sense of it and how it may be corrected less
>painfully than going through 556 cards and finding the ones with
>notes with 1 slot rather than 5????

Well if you have run SBM utilities and it did not find anything odd in the
Names soup. You can (after a FULL backup) try going into extras, selecting
storage and try moving all your names to your card, or another card. If it
fails half way through the transfer, go into Soupkitchen and see what the
first entry is in the Names soup. That should be a corrupt name. Delete
that entry and try moving it again. Keep doing that and you should get all
the corrupt entries. Then move all your names back to your previous storage
and see if it works now.

If moving the soup works fine, then the only other option (except going
through the soup via Soupkitchen) would be to try to export the names via
NCU, then delete the soup and reimport them back. Many have fixed problems
that way.

Oh I thought of another possible method though not free. X-port has the
ability to export data from names in a variety of formats to import in other
desktop PIM's and you can even create custom templates to accommodate
practically any database. Well you could use X-port to move your names data
out, then X-port it back in which should fix your problem. I would suggest
trying NCU first though if you don't have X-port.

-Dan

P.S. I just thought of another way, you could use something like Sloup or
EEtrasnfer to move your Names soup off of the newt via terminal and Zmodem.
Then either edit it directly and reimport or just trying a reimport to see
if that works. Again do full backups before trying any of these techniques.