Re: [NTLK] Please help a "beginner"

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 08:02:15 PDT

Hi David,

welcome back to the Newton!
Indeed upgrading to an MP2x00 is a good idea.
You are right that there are three possible ways of connecting the Newt:
1) serial (with USB to serial adapter + the MP2x00 NIC port dongle or the
SER-001 card)
2) via Ethernet (you need a PCMCIA Ethernet card for your Newt)
3) wireless Lan (you need a base station and a PCMCIA WIFI card that works
with your Newt)
and for sake of completeness, there is also the Local Talk connection, which
is kind of a serial connection, but LT is not supported from the new Macs
anymore.

FASTEST is Ethernet or WIFI.
Easiest is SERIAL.

But to use option 2) or 3) there is the question of who comes first, chicken
or egg.
In fact both require special drivers on your Newt that have to be
installed - normally via a (default) serial connection.
But there is a solution: this is the so called card lending service: you
lend out a memory card that contains the special drivers you need and there
you go.
Or you locate another Newton friend close to you who has either an old Mac
(and the serial cable + dongle) or who can lend you a memory card.
I know about such a service in Europe (Frank Gruendel) and there should be a
similar one for the U.S. as well.

HTH
Johannes