Re: [NTLK] My newton desn't start

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 05:19:11 PDT

> It makes as if it starts again, also the
>"erase all" question shows up, and I can
>make it erase everything (I've make
>a soft-hardware and also a hard restart on it),
>but outside that, no
>operating system starts and every time it shows
>up the Newton logo as for
>starting, it stays for less than a second and makes off.

This sounds like a Newton fried due to too much voltage
from the AC adapter, I'm afraid.

>Does anybody know if this situation is reversible? Is
>there a component that
>can be change to make the Newton work again?

Sure, everything is reversible. Provided you know which
component(s) have died. I'm afraid that apart from Dr.
Newton nobody currently knows which components this might
be. Last time I asked he wasn't willing to share this kind
of info, which is perfectly understandable since he earns
money with this knowledge.
Unfortunately he seems to have dropped off the surface of
this planet lately. All mails I sent him over the last
months haven't been answered yet. But you might want to
try it yourself: http://www.maplenet.net/~dwatson/

If you are willing to donate that board to a noble cause,
why not send it my way. It is not likely, but also not
impossible that some day I will find what is wrong with
these beasts. If this happens, I will send the board back
fixed at my expense (don't get your hope up too high, I
have two other boards like that that I was unable to fix
so far).

Someone else on the list mentioned that if the ROM board
was dead, replacing the mainboard wouldn't help. From my
experience this is next to impossible. Using the wrong
AC adapter does NOT harm the ROM board, at least I have
never seen a ROM board that was dead due to that problem.
Matter of fact, I have never seen a dead 2x00 ROM board
at all.

I could probably help you with a 2000 or 2100 mainboard.
If you are interested, just let me know off-list.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de