Re: [NTLK] Battery Tray Pics Please.

From: Damien Batstone (djb_at_er.dtu.dk)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 04:54:05 PDT

I've done this several times. You can take a normal 2x2 battery holder,
and modify it to go in the newton. You remove the negative pole, and drill
a hole for the negative spring. Cut the end off the positive pole, and
solder a stiff wire on the side to contact the positive spring. Cut two
grooves (with a hacksaw) on one side to match the ridges, and remove
material from the other side so that it will fit. It should now slide
in. Get the right thermister (search the archives for my posts), and
install two contacts for the thermister, as well as a wire running to the
negative contact, and it will recharge. My batteries have been going about
1 year without being removed. I've even installed a semi-permanent perspex
curved cover so it looks nice (just ended up sticking it on with super glue).

Regards,

Damien

>Thanks a lot! Those pictures were perfect. I'll have to try that out
>too. I just took 4 AA batterys, taped them together, taped some foil
>on one end so both batteries were connected, then taped another piece
>of foil on one battery on the other end. It came alive! Now I've just
>got to figure out how to get it to stay in :P
>
>Woohoo!
>
>On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:03:36 -0500, Woody Smith
<<mailto:woody_at_bitstream.net?Subject=Re:%20%5BNTLK%5D%20Battery%20Tray%20Pics%20Please.&In-Reply-To=%2526lt;6781d91f04062619263c7c90b5_at_mail.gmail.com%3E>woody_at_bitstream.net>

<<http://dev.newtontalk.net/%7Edpadilla/battery.htm>http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/battery.htm>