[NTLK] dd to backup cards?

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 20:39:38 PST

Has anyone tried--under Linux, BSD, or MacOS X--to use the "dd" command to
backup and restore a Compact Flash or PCMCIA card full of Newton software?
I don't have a reader here to try it, but it seems like this would work
perfectly and great for keeping snapshots of data over time (a cron job
could even archive over night if you plug the card into a reader).

For instance, you'd type in something like:

dd if=/dev/devicename of=/tmp/newtendo_ROMs.img

...where "devicename" is the proper device for accessing your normal
CompactFlash or PCMCIA cards.

If someone can try this, please let the list know. I imagine it would
making archiving card data a breeze, especially if the majority of your
data (notes, contacts, etc.) sits on cards.

-Jeff