Re: [NTLK] [OT] Bid Sniper

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 22:27:18 PST

on 3/3/04 9:39 PM, Jack Burks at dumbstart_at_satx.rr.com wrote:

> It's only frowned on when someone does it to you. Otherwise, you think of
> it as a strategic victory. Unfortunately I lose more than I win due to those
> snipers. So close to having my Programming the Newton with Windows book, and
> then last 5 seconds of the auction, and it's not mine.

My strategy against sniping is to put a relatively high maximum bid on items
I really want, even higher than I really want to pay. Honestly speaking,
however, I haven't had to pay that yet. It does keep snipers from
outbidding, however... At least usually... Of course, caveat emptor.... You
might end up paying more than you wanted... I got my wife's Pismo this way,
I ended up paying $30 more than I expected, but the sniper lost, and it was
the best deal on eBay at the time, I paid the same price as other auctions,
but got double the RAM and triple the hard drive of the other current
auctions, oh, and OS X to boot... So, I think the $30 was worth it.

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland