[NTLK] best ways to type foreign accents

From: Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes (marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 05:37:23 PST

Dear list,

My girlfriend will be using my MP 2k for a while in a field research
(a notebook is too heavy). I've writtem most (if not all) docs in
English, but she'll need a better/quicker/easier way to type foreign
(western european) characters and accents.

I've searched the net for a while, discovered some programs that could
help, but it appears that none of them have the desired functionality
she'll need:

   simple, dead key-like, way to input accented letters via attached
   keybord or by switching the default on-screen keyboard.

Can anyone share some experience on this subject? I'm pretty sure that
my girlfriend will be *really* bored by typing a few paragraphs with
the default option-key_combo method, and, besides, I can't guarantee
all characters will be there.

As a programmer, I'm willing to write a new app, if necessary... Any
advice or known similar source code to start with?

I also tried a package called Int'l Keyboard, but a error occurred when
installing, the default on-screen keyboard died after that and I had to
restore a recemt backup. 8-(

Any advice would be thankful.

TIA,

Marcus