Re: [NTLK] Hardware question (crazy)

From: Julian Wright (julianwr_at_paradise.net.nz)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 09:37:18 PST

On 2 Mar 2004 at 21:15, Jeff Sheldon wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 01:18:34PM -0800, Martin Joseph wrote:
> > What was/is the fastest PIN COMPATIBLE strong arm chip that would work
> > on the MP2000 motherboard?
>
> To my knowledge the 110's the only option. You can buy "newer" revisions
> and some that clock up to over 300MHz, but you've got the Voyager chipset
> to worry about, which often fubars itself after mid 200s (MHz).

Last time I looked at the data sheets from Intel's web site I came to
the conclusion that the revision of the SA110 used in Newtons is one
with a top speed of 162MHz. But remember that the SA is usually
configured to generate its own internal clock which can be set
independantly of the bus clock. So if you were to swap the SA110 in
your Newton for a newer one, you should be able to set it to run over
300MHz without changing the bus clock speed away from the default.

If this were done it would be a superior solution to the present one
of switching in a new bus clock crystal, as things like sound and the
serial port would still work 100%.

Disclaimer: I am not a hardware engineer. :)

Cheers, Julian.