Re: [NTLK] Will 'USB port for Notebooks' work

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 13:08:22 PST

At 03:15 PM 3/4/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Andrei Chichak wrote:
> >
> > The Newton also will not have the protocol stack to be a USB host.
> >
> > It won't hurt your Newton, but it will hurt your pocketbook as the
> money is
> > better spent on Cognac.
>
>If it's CardBus, it shouldn't physically fit into the Newton's PC Card
>card slot.
>
>If you force it, then you could hurt the Newton. Cardbus != PC Card!

I don't think it would take much force. From the CardBus white paper on
www.pcmcia.org:

In summary, the following traits make CardBus an unrivaled computer add-in
mechanism:
· Standard, broadly-supported PC Card form-factor and connector
· PCI performance level and bus-master capability
· Low-voltage (3.3v) operation with standardized power-management
· Ease of use through PnP and hot-plug capabilities
· CardBus slots off full backward compatibility for PC Card-16 cards

I have an Adaptec APA-1480 CardBus SCSI card that is in the Type II
PCMCIA/PC Card form factor. It is not a Type III which will cause damage
since it would be 5.5 mm. too thick.

So, I stick with my original posting, it won't hurt your Newton.

Andrei