Re: [NTLK] RTF with images in Newton Press - error -11005

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 08:55:16 PST

One way to do this would be to rid the rtf from its graphics, save these as
separate files. Import the formatted rtf using File/Add in Newton Press.
Then import the graphic files one by one either via File/Add, which will
append them to the end of your document, from where you can move them
around, or copy & paste each from an open graphics viewers screen ("Select
all", "Copy") into your document, right where you need it. - Importing
graphics separately allows to adapt them to the max. width/heigth available
on the Newton platform your want this to work on. (Do I remember correctly
that oversized images are possible and will get set up with scroll bars?)

Working with the Bookmaker/NTK combo, this would work differently, you'd
have to mark up the file then then process it using those two apps. Haven't
tried this yet, though, didn't have the time to really dig into the manual.

Yes oversized images should have scroll bars if they added properly. As for
Bookmaker it does work differently. Bookmaker can process RTF files
directly, although I have never tried with graphics imbedded (but it is
possible). I personally would do it though dot commands and link to
external graphics. It makes it faster for placement of where you want the
graphics than Press where you will have to manually move them around. Of
course Bookmaker has a higher learning curve.

If you do want to use Press, depending on where the graphics are located you
may wish to split the text into separate files where the graphics are to be
located. Then add the text, then a graphic file, the additional text etc.
This way you don't have to manually move things around in Press, which can
be very annoying. Also you don't need to use the "add file" command in
press. You can select the text you want in a word processor then copy and
paste it in press. Graphics though I would still use the add file to make
sure the conversion is done properly.

-Dan