Re: [NTLK] OSX source?

From: David Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 2004 - 06:28:49 PST

Mach is the difference between some BSD distributions and
NeXT/OpenSTEP/Mac OS X. Darwin is not the kernel of Mac OS X, Mac OS X
uses the Mach Kernel with Avi T. worked on back in his university days.
Darwin is a complete FreeBSD distribution from Apple using the Mach
Kernel. NeXTSTEP was based on Free and NetBSD. Some Open Source people
are irritated that Apple is not more open, Apple does give back their
code on Open Source projects but not all of the code, just the changes
they make and enhancements they make to the code they take in. Aqua,
the Finder, QuickTime, Quartz ... none of those are Open Source. Apple
has extensive pages on their site and there is more in Google, if
anyone wants to know about Apple's Open Source relationship, that would
be a good place to look, you will find true stuff, false stuff, happy
and angry people. After all its the internet.

David