[NTLK] How about using a microdrive hard disk in the PCMCIA slot?

From: MKow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 15:41:04 PST

I just read that people are buying the MuVo2 .mp3 player, solely to tear out
the microdrive hard disk. Apparently, the MuVo2 is a much cheaper alternative
to buying the microdrive directly from Toshiba. The microdrive device, which
holds 4 gigs of data, is compatible with some CF slot devices. People are
using these hard drives for their digital cameras, to store lots of pictures!
So, here are my questions:

Could the microdrive be used with a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter in the Newton?

Could this be a viable way to get more data onto the Newton? MP3 music files
(in .pkg format, of course) come to mind...

Could the microdrive be partitioned, so that it could give the user several
OS boot-up options? I think it would be awesome to be able to choose between
the Linux, Newton OS, Mac OS, or maybe even the Windows CE. Imagine having even
more choices available on the Newton. How cool would that be?

Another question: If the Newton's OS is "burned onto the ROM chip, could this
chip be removed, or switched off, to allow the use of another OS on a
different part of the Newton's physical memory? Linux?

Am I on drugs? If not, should I be?

Microdrive Curious in Detroit
Matt K.
mkow1234_at_aol.com