Re: [NTLK] How about using a microdrive hard disk in the PCMCIA slot?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 19:45:38 PST

on 10/03/04 19:13, Martin Joseph at martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2004, at 3:41 PM, MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:
> <snip>
>> Could the microdrive be used with a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter in the Newton?
> I do believe so. Using Paul Guyot's ATA driver ATA style CF cards
> work. I don't know about particular micro drives, check at Pauls
> site...
> http://www.kallisys.com/
>
> Personally I don't find this interesting. I think that the cheap
> availability of solid state cards (you can by a 1G for about $150US)
> provides a lower power, more durable solution that is still extreme
> overkill for Newton.

Not only that, but even if larger cards are available, you have to watch out
for the heap that you lose by installing more and more packages. Every
package installed uses some precious heap. Some packages use more, some
less, but there is always a loss...

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.