Re: [NTLK] Blunt and BlueTooth, was Re: Hi, I'm New Here!

From: josh musket (jmusket_at_nmu.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 09:15:51 PST

Ikem Nzeribe wrote:

>I know you like that ole 802.11, but you can't pack it in your bag and
>read send your email on a train with it. Or browse the Web on a remote
>hilltop (you know what I mean ;-) Bluetooth makes it a closed solution.
>If you have a GPRS mobile phone, you can pass data without being tied
>to a Wi-Fi hotspot. It frees you from No WiFi Hell!
>
>Ikem.

Bluetooth is a way cool technology, but for me it's a comparison of costs:

With 11b/g all I have to do is buy a card - the town I live in is pretty
much covered with hotspots, due to the proximity of the "laptop
university" (which I attend, as you can see from my email address), and
the large amount of old people with money to burn.

Bluetooth - need a card, phone, phone service.

My money comes solely from overage check, as the job market here is kind
of lacking for students.