Re: [NTLK] Battery Woes - nimh = Alkaline? heeelp

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 18:45:53 PST

> Hello all :) I recently opened up my case to make changes to my
> backlight (Generously sent to me by Calvin G.!)

> I'm having some problems now that I've put everything back together.
My
> Battery won't charge :( It always says, "Alkaline" in AVIs backdrop.

> Any ideas? It seems like if I fiddled with the grey cable coming out
> from beside the battery bay, it would turn to nimh. But whenever I
> closed the case, I only get, "Alkaline" :(

> I thought that cable was the mic cable :P So I don't see what wiggling

> it could have done :P

Ok, have a look at this picture:

http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassembly25large.jpg

It shows the battery cage with the top part removed.
The top part is lying upside down, connected to the
mainboard by a red and a black wire. These two wires
are what connects the battery contacts responsible for
pack recognition to the mainboard. I would bet that you
either did not mount the top part of the battery cage
properly or you did something that tore one of
the two wires off or nearly off. In a nutshell, the
two contacts you see here

http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_accu01 must be connected
to where the red and black wires end on the mainboard.
This connection appears to be fragile or broken. Right
contact must be connected to the red wire, left contact
to the black wire if I remember correctly.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de