Re: [NTLK] physical vs. virtual page (was: Pen Thickness Setting)

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 09:50:15 PST

* Doug Parker <doug_at_ispinn.com> [17 Mar 2004 08:13]:
> I work in a software house. Programmers here regularly page through
> thousand-line programs using a browser that only displays 13 lines at a time.
> I don't know how they're able to move about the document and remember what it
> was they've just reviewed, where it is in the document, or how it relates to
> the remaining 987 lines that are unseen. I don't use their programming
> tools--I'm a visual programmer. It's confounding.

Well, I can't speak for the programmers you know, but I regularly work
on a program with some 60 files of about 500-1000 lines each, and while
my display can show more than 13 lines at a time (about 40-50) it still
only shows a tiny fraction of the total.

ctags is my trick: it lets you jump around in the file then return to
where you were - even between different files - and not need to know
exactly which file you were in. That coupled with a text editor that has
a lot of programmer's features makes navigating code a lot easier.

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project