Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 10:31:02 PST

Op woensdag 17 maart 2004 18:33, schreef Victor Rehorst:
> kareljansens wrote:
> > I still think they're stupid: Stone Multimedia sends out a survey form
> > that can only be read from a computer with MS Word and Excel installed
> > (don't even think about using OpenOffice.org, 'cuz it isn't able to fill
> > out the form
>
> That's because the survey is an Excel spreadsheet embedded within a Word
> document. Strange that OO wouldn't just use its spreadsheet...

It uses it allright. It's only when finished that all sorts of weird
formatting stuff happens. The worst of it is that there was no need at all to
use such a complicated compound document, other than (most likely) laziness
of the composer. A simple, well-formatted ASCII text document would have done
just fine.

> Anyways, I read the file metadata (File -> Properties). According to it,
> the title of the document is:
>
> "We are a group of students at Ryerson University in Toronto taking a
> course in Marketing Research"

Yes, I saw that too. OO.o displays it in the title window (probably a nasty
trick of the OO.o people to showcase Word's amazing levels of security.

:)

> This was probably originally the first sentence of the document, was saved,
> and then edited later. The first time you save a document Word will slurp
> the first heading or sentence and save it as the document title. Well, now
> we know who really wrote the survey.

MSWord, the wordprocessor that shares your secrets with the world!
(I doubt it will ever make an official catchphrase)

> I call shenanigans. Apple will not licence the NewtonOS: it contains
> important code that is past, present, and hopefully future products. We've
> been down this road before, many many times.

"I won't be fooled again!"
(I don't know who it's by, but it's the title track of "CSI Miami")

Karel Jansens