Re: [NTLK] IMPORTANT: Newton Revival Imminent

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 22:32:36 PST

I have an AT&T EO-440. I used that machine for
EVERYTHING!!!
It ran (runs) Pensoft, did a passible HWR, has two PC
card slots (although I think that one is NOT PCMCIA
compatible) a 20mb hard drive. Mine has the Cellphone
interface. It's basically an Oki900 N-amps cellphone
repackaged in a a bolt-on addition on the underside.
It plays sound, records sound (although the HD makes
the recordings really noisy) and while the screen
isn't touch sensitive, it is capacitive which means
that you only get data when using the included pen.
My EO did double duty as a fax machine for years (not
much call for faxes anymore) and it's recently been
retired.
It was an amazing machine that, like the Newton, was
far too ahead of it's time. And that's
unfortunate...because it worked.
The only downside was it's size. The 440 was (is) the
size of an 8X10 notebook...the 880 was (is) even
bigger!...also, the batteries lasted like 2 hours
tops! the 440 didn't have a backlit display nor did it
have a transreflective display (unlike the Sony
PIC2000 or the HP Omnigo) so it was difficult to view
while on the beach (anyone remember the commercial?
Guy sitting on the beach, announcer saying something
like, "wouldn't you like to get a fax while sitting at
the beach? Well, someday you will..." with several
other "wishes"...then ends by saying "well, that day
is today...AT&T EO".
I grew tired lugging that beast around...so I picked
up a Marco with the wireless packet transciever built
in. In those days, you could usually get comped
accounts because very few people signed on. I had
unlimited packet data for years and it became my
primary email account! I eventually upgraded to a
MP120 , then OS2 and an AllPoints card with DTS.
(eventually purchased by Go America, which promptly
dumped Newton support)
I miss those days sometimes!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Jeff Sheldon <jeff_at_jurai.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 04:20:52PM -0800, Ed Kummel
> wrote:
> > When the Newton came out, there was nothing like
> it.
> > AT&T had just come out with the EO, and that used
> > pen for data input. It was revolutionary, but
> poorly
> > implemented.
>
> I had forgotten all about the EO and did a quick
> Google to refresh my
> memory. The first return compares it with the
> Newton. Hilarious:
>
> http://www.att.com/news/0793/930730.cpa.html
>

> -Jeff

=====
"China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."
 - Charles De Gaulle, former French President