Re: [NTLK] Racism On The Board (Was "Any Idea Why")

From: Tony Kan (tony.kan_at_clear.net.nz)
Date: Tue Mar 23 2004 - 15:05:43 PST

Hi Guys

For the record, I'm a Chinese New Zealander and this is a Newton email
forum. My ethnic background shouldn't matter.

Like all communities there is a spectrum of personalities, ethnic
backgrounds and age groups. Communities survive with a bit of patience and
tolerance. I didn't think Jared was trying to be malicious in his
statement. He just has a perception that African states have certain kinds
of exchange rates.

When I was a teenager I used to get annoyed that people assumed that I
couldn't speak English, despite the fact that I was a third generation New
Zealander. Somewhere in my 20s I realised this was an unrealistic
expectation to have. How can they possibly tell without me speaking first?
So I worked out a way to deal with that situation. Now I'm not offended
anymore.

Sure we could take offence at every comment or behaviour that may or may not
show some misbelief in a stereotype. Would that help? It is too easy to
assume the worst in people.

Just chill. HTH

Cheers

Tony