Re: [NTLK] Thanks Robert!

From: kareljansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 13:22:22 PST

Op woensdag 24 maart 2004 22:07, schreef Marco Mailand:
> "kareljansens" wrote @ 24.3.2004 21:14 Uhr / <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>:
> > How's that for a coincidence?
>
> You got the much more recent 3400 - mine is a LT-P600 only. But it does NOT
> need an active pen, meaning the nail of the finger is enough to operate it.
> The 3400 needs, IMHO, the active pen, does it?

Nope. Pqssive digitiser, with some kind of gizmo to prevent handpalm jaggies.
Apparently the layer between the two digitizer foils is filled with some kind
of silicone oil. In any case, the screen is magnificent in outdoor lighting
conditions, much better than any other backlit TFT I've ever seen.

> > preloaded with Windows NT 4.0 which, while not half bad as far as Windows
> > OSes go, still is -- you know, Windows and therefore yuk).
>
> The recent 3400 which are on sale here in CH (MediaMarket 3333.- CHF) have
> all WinXP Tablet Edition pre-installed. You should get rid of the NT
> somehow. My "old" LT-P600 did not have a functioning HWR program installed
> as I got it and it took me about 3 months to find someone here in CH to
> help me. None of the 15 Fujitsu-Siemens dealers in the CH was able to
> deliver something nor to re-install the OS. But finally I found a non-FSC
> dealer which had a special harddisk copy machine and was able to copy the
> content of a brand new LT-P600 onto a second 60GB HD.

Apparently Fujitsu is less than helpful towards people who acquire their goods
secondhand. Even upgrading to Windows 2000 would mean I'd lose the license to
the commercial HWR program that came with the 3400.

No worries though, as I don't intend it to be suffering from Windowitis for
much longer. :)

> Before that I played around with W98, W2k and LINUX installation too and
> got it sort of working except the HWR. My problem is that I lack the
> bootable floppy disk drive which is needed to get LINUX and thus LiLo onto
> it. But I installed everything with the HD connected to a desktop Windows
> machine. The pen control of the LINUX worked too but I didn't play w/ HWR
> under X.

Go here:

http://www.xstroke.org/

and knock yourself out.

This one might have something for you as well:

http://linuxslate.com/software.html

> > It's nice as a Webpad, though...
>
> Yep. And it was cheaper (700CHF) than e.g. the PhotoTainer, a LINUX driven,
> 20GB-HD MP3 player and CF-card reader thing which I was just about to get,
> before I found the LT-P600. And I like the bath tub video watching - need
> now a wall mount support... :-)

... or a tough, clear plastic bag...

Karel Jansens