Re: [NTLK] Thanks Robert!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 23:03:39 PST

on 3/24/04 9:31 PM, Brett Hutley at brett_at_hutley.net wrote:

> I didn't end up buying one, cause I concluded that about the only thing
> it gave you is the ability to surf in bed without lying on your stomach.
> They've still got a long way to go, IMHO, before they're as useful as a
> Newton. The Newton to me strikes the right balance between not being too
> big and heavy and clumsy to carry, and not being too small, making it
> hard to take notes at meetings quickly. Battery life is also super
> important in a machine you carry around to augment your life, and has
> got to be able to handle a full day of use. There's nothing worse than
> being too scared to use your notebook because you know there's not
> enough battery life left.

The problem, as I see it today, is that everybody seems to want their
desktop computer in their handheld... Either that, or an extremely portable
and (IMO) crippled organizer... There doesn't seem to be any interest in a
computer that is optimized for handheld use, like the Newton. This seems to
be an area that the majority of people are afraid of. They want that
familiar, shoddy environment from their desktop replicated on their
"handheld." Actually, not everybody, because the Newton is still alive and
kicking precisely because there is a significant number of people who do
want what the Newton offers, and nobody else... Strange world... Here's a
product with a definite market, and nobody marketing to it!!!! That's how I
see it... Surely _somebody_ is working on it??? Where's the vision? Has the
"failure" of the Newton scared everybody off the concept _that_ badly???

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland