Re: [NTLK] How does it work? (was Re: Newton Print Pack)

From: Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes (marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 12:32:20 PST

You're right on this, but we're getting a bit too far from where we
started. We were talking about serial connections.

When I say "modem", in this context, I'm refering to the common
device we all were using a few years ago, to dial up a phone
number, negotiate a serial connection and, say, start a SLIP or
PPP session.

We could have detailed the paragraph above with some letter soup
acronyms like DCE, DTE and other who-cares-what-they-mean words.

In this interim, a 'modem', as you said, auto senses the speed
of connection and, based on a good old Hayes command (the init
string), configures itself to the speed and parameters set on
the computer side of the link.

Now, take this part of the modem and plug it on the serial output
port of a MP2k. Replace the modulator/demodulator, A/D converion with
a centronics port and what do we have? a device that can (or at least
try) to convert a serial comm port to a parallel one.

Remember that, a long time ago, parallel ports were just one-way
data paths. No need to check those bits telling "paper jam" or stuff
like that.

Now, someone might say "Oh, this won't work with my HP Deskjet XYZ
printer because it needs an extra push and two kicks in the butt
to load the sheet of paper".

I say, that's ok. The main goal of the device is to get the two sides
in communication with each other. Now, if something 'additional' needs
to be in place, so things can work flawlessly, that's another question.

The PrintPack cable can be smart enough to, say, using EPP ports, sense
the type of printer it is attached to, check an internal database, and,
finally, do the house keeping job, but, from a technical point of view,
a "serial-to-parallel" converter isn't the rocket science I'm feeling
some people are talking about.

On the other side, I may be seeing things that just are'n there. ;)