Re: [NTLK] No Input / Jaggies / Erratic pen behaviour

From: Marco Mailand (Newton_at_spymac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 14:55:00 PST

"Berthe M. Willumsen" wrote @ 26.3.2004 7:04 Uhr / <bmw_at_biobase.dk>:
> - upper case lib?
Upper case is what you see if you use the Newton. As "lib" I describe the
narrow edge of the upper case just where the rectangular opening for the
screen is. I tried to make some photographs but they do not help much. It is
simply hard to catch...

> - scraping away as in 'take a knife'?
Exactly. Take a knife or a small handcraft milling tool and get the gap
between screen and upper case lib (again!!! :-) bigger by a few 0.1mm.

> I cannot figure out, from the picture, how far the
> taking-the-Newton-apart- process has proceeded.
The bad thing is that nearly all of the Newton except the display itself has
to be dismounted.

> But the take home message is that it is too much pressure, rather
> than too little, which is the problem?
The screen position is determined by two variable resistance values, by
means of analog-digital converter(s) in the Newton. One value is for the X-,
the other for the Y-position of the pen. If there is two spots pressed down
on the screen either or both of the position values are distorted and the
pen spot is not exactly where it should be but jumping around (at
intermittent pressure). You can measure the electrical resistance between
two of the four digitizer connections and watch how it changes if the pen is
moved or two spots pressed down at the same time. This is very interesting
and brought me to the conclusion that something else than the pen only is
pressing onto the screen.

Marco