[NTLK] More NewtSync Progress

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 23:15:56 PST

Okay, so I'm going to try and make it a weekly habit to email the
NewtonTalk list with my progress on the NewtSync overhaul. You can view
the source code changes accompanying these progress reports at:

http://sf.net/projects/newtsync/

This weekend I got both serial and TCP connections working with an
all-new architecture. The Newton package is smaller (so far), serial
connections can now handle non-Roman characters and TCP connections are
now reversed.

What does this mean? Well, basically the Newton acts as a server
instead of the Mac. This solves problems both with direct Mac-to-Newton
ethernet connections not working. This change also makes connections
more reliable, since there aren't going to be any firewall conflicts on
the Newton and it only has one IP address at a time, where your Mac
will probably have several.

So in order to sync, in the future, you will click Connect on the
Newton first, the Newton will display its IP address, and then you will
enter this into your Mac and click Connect there.

I've also made TCP connections more reliable in general, by sticking to
only Newton Internet Enabler 2.0 stuff.

More to come...

j.