[NTLK] Newton PDF viewer wish

From: Gavin McKenzie (ntlk_at_gavinmckenzie.fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 18:12:05 PST

Oh well....some disclosure. See...I'm an employee of Adobe (though I'm
based in Ottawa Canada, not San Jose). Yeah, I know...ironic. Every
time I see the PDF-viewing-on-a-Newton thread go by I kinda bite my lip.
This is the first time I've raised the issue myself.

During my work hours, my world is awash in PDF. I get PDFs daily in my
Inbox and while it is straigtforward for me to convert them to HTML or
text I really just wish sometimes that I could transfer the PDF to my
Newt and view it, even if there were trade-offs in terms of fidelity.

And before someone suggests that I go off an develop a PDF viewer for the
Newton given my day job, I'm just not comfortable with that idea at all.
I'm just a little too close to the subject matter to be able to
contribute...more irony. So, really I probably have no place to ask
Eagan or others to do develop a PDF viewer for the Newt...but I thought
I'd ask all the same. Given that PDF is an open and published format,
there are implementations out there (Google for "XPDF") that have been
ported to other platforms like the Amiga, Acorn, and even the current
Zaurus handheld...but not our Newt. It's too bad. I have an Amiga in my
basement too, and it's too bad that I can view PDFs on it, but not the
thing I carry around every day.

Gavin.