Re: [NTLK] Eckhart's LPR Driver - How to get IP of Printer?

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 03:48:28 PDT

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 19:25:52 +0000, Donald Wilson wrote:
> What you're doing is AppleTalk over IP, and to get LPR to work that
> way, you need a print server. If you have a Mac OS X computer, I
> beleive you can set up CUPS to be the print spooler. It will accept the
> print request from the Newton and foward it along to the AppleTalk
> based printer.

Exactly, and then the setup on the Newton side is as follows:
- the name can be anything
- the server is the name of the MacOS X machine
- the queue is the name of the printer as entered in Print Center
One feature is however missing in the current release of the LPR Driver
which prevents it from working with CUPS. Paul has looked into it, got
it working and we will very likely release something later.

> If that's not an option, a used HP Jet Direct print server unit is what
> you're looking at. It does pure IP based networking.

Yes, that's the other route. Then, the setup uses the printer address
as the server, and very likely "lp" as the queue name, alternatively,
"raw" or "raw1" might work as well.

Eckhart