Re: [NTLK] More dumb mac/newt questions: packtype, dock, and newtonbooks

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Sat May 01 2004 - 16:49:36 PDT

* David Neale <david.neale_at_pandora.be> [ 1 May 2004 04:00]:
> I've been using Macs for 15 years and been in computing for 35 years.
> Believe me, there are no dumb questions in computing or anything else.
> If you don't know something, many people will be in the same situation,
> so ask away for the sake of those who don't dare.

I know, that's why I asked them :-)

> The problem with the system becoming unusable after installing NCU is
> one I have experienced when trying the installation in Classic under
> Jaguar (MacOS X 10.2.8). (Never had such an occurrence before on a
> Mac.) Had to reinstall the system (taking the opportunity to upgrade to
> Panther) and now NCU works.

Well, NCU always worked just fine on this computer, and I've done
backups and installed packages before; I just always initiated both from
the LC instead of the Newton. (My other half's ibook on the other
hand... well, that's why I resurrected the LC in the first place.)

> As for importing a large text, such as your "Don Quijote," I have also
> experienced similar difficulties to your own. The only solution has
> been to dramatically increase the preferred memory allocation -- it is
> now standing at 25000, which allows me to import Burrows' "Wild Wales."

Aha... I increased memory for a number of other applications, but forgot
Newton Book Maker. I will pump that up as high as the LC will handle...
given that it has a whopping 12Mb of RAM installed ;-p

> At least you have been able to get an ethernet connection between your
> Newton and Mac, something that remains impossible for myself (as does a
> wireless connection). Perhaps this is because my iBook runs under
> Panther -- all descriptions for such links seem to stop at Jaguar!

Well, this is System 7.5... the newt is quite happy talking to it no
matter how I connect :-)

-Rhonda

--
 www.write-on.indy || www.write-on.org   \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project