Re: [NTLK] [OT] Kilometers

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 00:37:15 PDT

on 5/3/04 11:24 PM, Nicolas Krizan at nico_at_mbox309.swipnet.se wrote:

> I can see the beauty and humanism of using a measurement system deriving
> from our own bodies but the clear sharp logic of the metric system is
> quite nice too.

Quite right! That was what I was trying to say from the start! I like the
Metric, and use it when I think it fits, but I also like having the ability
to use the inches and foot measurement system, in particular when I'm
working on building things or remodeling my place. (personally, the cup,
half-cup, etc. could go away as far as I'm concerned--but my wife would
probably disagree with me on that one!)

> PS. In swedish, the word for inch literally means »thumb«. What is the
> etymology of the word »inch«?

Here is what an online dictionary says: "Middle English, from Old English
ynce, from Latin uncia, one twelfth of a unit." So it doesn't seem to
reflect a body part. :-) BTW, there also seems to be a small island named
"inch" also. ;-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland