Re: [NTLK] Telnet and Newton

From: Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes (marcus.magalhaes_at_vlinfo.com.br)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 15:22:54 PDT

Only having a telnet client won't make you miraculously browsing
web pages and sending emails.

As I explained before, telnet clients (and ssh clients as well) enable
you to log on a different machine and use THEIR programs remotely.

Windows and MacOS (until X) had poor command line interface programs,
so the necessity to use telnet connections was not high.

On the other hand, unix systems always had good text mode programs, since
day one. If you wanna feel the power of telnet, you need to do some
home work first.

If you're a computer skilled person or a computer science
undergrad, do yourself a favor and install a unix flavor on a spare
computer. UNIX is not resource hungry. A 2 or 3 y.o. computer will do
nicely. Do _not_ install any graphical interface and learn how to
configure, use and expand your system using the command line. Go to
a bookstore. Browse a dozen or so books about UNIX. Get those explaining
how to use text mode tools. Learn how to use the 'man' command and use
it to check the documentation of _every_ program inside /bin or /usr/bin

Time will come when you'll see that it's easier and less error prone
to do everything by yourself, rather letting whomever made that
silly wizard do all the thinking for you... After all, his reality
can be very different from yours...

If you have MacOS X, you could start using 'terminal' right now.

Don't know which unix flavor to install? Get a BSD-based one, like FreeBSD
or NetBSD. They tend to have much better documentation than Linux. And,
IMHO, are better designed as well.

A last word: Linux and some BSD Unix can coexist on your mac (if you have
one). I have 4 different OSs on my Powerbook right now.

<snip>