Re: [NTLK] 3.3v Cards - 2100 okay?

From: Zachery Bir (zbir_at_urbanape.com)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 13:17:10 PDT

On May 7, 2004, at 4:05 PM, josh musket wrote:

> Humphreys, David wrote:
>
>> However, your tone suggests that to make a profit from it is just
>> wrong.
>
> My take on it is, were Paul trying to make a profit, he would set the
> price lower. While he would be making less money per registration, more
> people would likely register. Therefore I don't believe that Paul is
> aiming to profiteer.

There's definitely a tension between market penetration and the support
costs that ensue. I figure by pricing it where he has, he ensures that
only dedicated users will be purchasing it (and hitting him up for
support). He is likely too singularly intimate with the code to release
it (at the far, opposite extreme) as Open Source, as he would still be
the primary support vehicle *and* would be uncompensated (except for
Net Cred™, which I'm sure he now has in abundance ;^)

I don't think he's made the decision capriciously.

Zac