[NTLK] [ANN] LPR Driver 1.0

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 02:19:56 PDT

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce LPR Driver 1.0.
With Eckhart's authorization I have indeed taken over the project.

What is LPR Driver?
-------------------

LPR Driver is an LPR/LPD driver for NewtonOS to print on network
printers that accept Postscript jobs.

This open source project was originally started by Eckhart Köppen.

What's new?
-----------

[CODEFIX] the queue is now properly passed to the printer (previously, lp
        was always passed)
[CODEFIX] the user name is now properly passed to the printer
[CODEFIX] cleaned up the code and disabled debugging code.
[FEATURE] merged both packages
[FEATURE] switched to Makefile instead of NCT stuff I hate
[FEATURE] the LPR printers definition is now done from the Printer slip
        (tap the printer name and select "Choose LPR Printer")
[FEATURE] the LPR printers setup no longer uses the newtApp framework
[FEATURE] the LPR printers soup format (and signature) did change
[FEATURE] the Newton's document title is now passed to the printer
[FEATURE] the print job file is now said to be deleted on the server (for
        servers that actually care, if any)
[FEATURE] the source port now is 731 to show that we have root powers on the
        Newton (for servers that actually care, if any)
[FEATURE] the port can now be specified (with the host:port syntax)
[FEATURE] added the ability to spool the job and tell the server about its
        actual size (requires temporary storage but makes it more compatible
        with servers, especially CUPS)
[FEATURE] printer errors are now detected and reported (although they're not
        really verbose)
[FEATURE] the printer definitions no longer are duplicated in heap (they
        just stay in the soup), hence the driver requires less memory.

Where can I download it?

 From the LPR Driver page:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/lpr/

Don't hesitate to send me a line if you have a problem or anything
with this release.

Regards,

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/