[NTLK] Storage cards, size (was Re: Newbie question.)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 07:54:12 PDT

>Can these be used as a storage medium on the Newt 130?

Hmh, the FAQ should have more details about storage cards compatibilities,
check that:
<http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/>http://www.chuma.org/newton/>faq
.

 From my experience, useful storage for the Newton starts at 4 MB. You'll
easily come across books after a while that will be a tight fit on 2 MB
cards, and then you'd have to delete all other books and stuff. Go for 4 or
8 MB, it's worth it.
   I found my experience improved vastly when I switched from the 2 MB my
MP 130 came with to 4 MB. And the jump to a 28 MB card felt like a quantum
leap - I now can charge the card with as many books as I can get, read 'em
and delete 'em one by one, and still have plenty space for apps, DeepGreen,
WordSquare (luv the littly thing!), etc.

If you can get a hold of CF-cards, you can use these with ATA Support. This
drivers costs a bit, but is worth every cent (I heard people say). In any
case you can use ATA Support with any card even w/o registration - then
it'll make 4 MB accessible for free; after registration, you'll be able to
use the whole card (and they are HUGE ;=} ).

Cheers,

DJV.