Re: [NTLK] [OT] I think SONY went nuts a while ago

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 10:31:47 PDT

I can see the appeal - but I also think it's a poor idea to replace
traditional cabling with wireless in an office environment.

Put together even a medium sized cubicle farm and you will quickly
approach the maximum number of machines per access point - and the more
you have on the same AP, the worse the connection will be. Toss in
security issues from having network traffic exit the confines of the
building, where it can more surreptitiously be intercepted and I don't
think many companies are going to warm up to the concept of replacing
ALL their wiring with wireless.

James T. Nichols

On May 10, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Len Cole wrote:

> I see a lot of reference to not having to "string cabling" from the
> router to the computers hooked into it. This advertising is primarily
> geared toward home installation, but it also makes sense for offices
> which are in older buildings which aren't easily wired for computer
> and internet services.
>

> On May 10 2004, Scot McSweeney-Roberts
> <newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> coffee, but a couple of years ago it was all about office use - I
>> remember talking to a salesman at Compaq about it and when I said
>> 'but I
>> still have to hook it up to the mains, so what's the point' (or words
>> that effect) he couldn't come up with a decent answer.
>

> --
> inquiries
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

---