[NTLK] What's in the Soup?

From: NewtonMP - Paul Curtis (paul.curtis_at_newtonmp.com)
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 10:41:56 PDT

OK, I've had my original 120 v 2.0 since 1996, so I'm not completely a
newbie. Then again I only use my Newton's for really limited things, so in
that respect I am a newbie. Lately I've been on a rampage to learn as much
as I can about existing packages and document how to's for NewtonMP.com to
make it easier to make entry into the Message Pad world for newbie's. So
there are many things I'm still not sure about and Soup's are one of them.
It seems that they are known well enough by our elders that it's second
nature and a mystery for Newtonian's like myself. So can we have a lively
discussion about them, thanks?
I'm trying to relate Soups to Window's, only because that's what I'm
comfortable with. I'm thinking they are similar to .ini files and the
registry? Some .pkg's need/have soups to operate and each soup has it's
package that it belongs to, but no soup works for multiple .pkg's? Also,
when deleting a .pkg doesn't mean that the soup gets whacked too, so there
could be residual soups lying around? They seem to be hidden? Where are they
located, is it a central location or up to the package to place? Are they
always in heap or not? What's in the soup, what's not?

Can we have some soup central here? I need to know.

Regards,

Paul Curtis
MP 120 v1.3/MP 120 v2.0/MP 130/MP 2100/MP 2100/MP 2100
www.NewtonMP.com (coming soon)
Go Green! Go White! Michigan State Spartans