[NTLK] newton keyboard

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 06:37:30 PDT

Previously.....
From: nelson <bnelson6_at_valuelinx.net>
Subject: [NTLK] newton keyboard

Well just got my keyboard in, cleaned it up plugged it in... cool.
Anyway onto my question. How many use a keyboard and how often? I know
odd question. I need a bigger card to store more notes now. lol Bryan

@>><-->------------------------------

        Geez... how many notes are you cranking out on that thing? The
Newton can store quite a few TEXT notes. Now voice notes.. that's
something entirely different. I had fun (and still have fun) with that
feature.

         As for keyboards, a few good choices. You can get the palm
keyboard adaptor, thus using the stowaway. Really cute! And with the
program "Serial input" you can make ANY COMPUTER with a serial port and
and a term program a keyboard for the Newton. At the moment I am using
a Atari ST. In truth any dumb terminal should do. (Used so far an
Atari 800 and ST at the time I write this.)

        With the Newton Connection Utilities you can use a Mac (and I
believe PC) keyboards while you are connected and have that option
selected.

        They had the Freekey, which you can see a picture of at...

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Flo_Biehler/

      ...I tried it once. Well, bought it, tried to get a PC keyboard
working with the Newton, failed, and then sent back. Kinda wish I still
had it to further tinker with. Anyone know if these people are still
around?

     Incendently, that Newton 2000 docking station looks great.

     And back to keyboards... the Newton keyboard makes a great serial
keyboard that many other platforms have adapted. Palm and HP 200 users
come to mind. Question I would like to ask is.. what would it take to
convert a regular PC keyboard to straight up act as a Newton keyboard?

     Thanks!

     Doctor Clu