Re: [NTLK] internet/network problems

From: Thomas Isenbarger (isen_at_molbio.mgh.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:30:03 PDT

On 13 May 2004, at 13:49, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On May 13, 2004, at 7:25 AM, Thomas Isenbarger wrote:
> <snip>
>> first, can anyone help with using Escale or NewTen over a wireless
>> Appletalk connection (or TCP/IP for Escale) to a Powerbook with
>> Airport
>> (no external base station)?
> It's still in ongoing development, but it does work at least once in a
> while... What is your problem exactly?

I have never been able to have my Newton "see" my laptop with airport
on. What settings do I need to make on both the laptop and on the
Newton, and how do I initiate the transfer?

>> can Mail V be used with .mac mail?
> Yes, but it does do some weird stuff.

what kind of weird stuff? is this consistent for all email of this
type (is .mac IMAP?).

>> a slip/box on the screen that says "connected" but as far as i
>> can tell nothing else is happening. i see that i now have a .mac
>> mailbox in my InOut, but no messages are in it. also, i cannot stop
>> or
>> close this "connected" alert so i have to get rid of it by turning the
>> newton off and back on (and clicking yes on the "do you really want to
>> shut down while an internet app is running?" alerts that pop up. by
>> the way, what kind of deleterious effects does this have?)
> None. But that's not the weird behaviuor that .mac has here. Don't
> you have the star pulsing at the top of the Newton screen to disconnect
> from?

I try to receive mail from my .mac account. at some point i have a
small window on the newton screen that says "connected". if i tap the
close or stop or whatever button is on it, nothing happens, except that
it goes to the pulsing star. when i have the pulsing star i tap on it,
Mail V is in the menu, i tap on that and i get a small window on my
screen that says "connected", but as far as i can tell nothing else is
happening. as i mention above i cannot get rid of this "connected"
box.

> mail V doesn't support POP so there is something whacked about the
> above statement.

that was in error. it's not POP. sorry for that.

>> <snip>
>> also, does anyone have experience with newtVNC? when i open it, i am
>> presented with a box for entering my connection information. i
>> haven't
>> been successful in connecting to my powerbook (runnning Share My
>> Desktop), so that is one problem.
> I use OsxVNC which seems to work AOK. Make sure your ports are not
> blocked (ie not firewalled)

i have the Firewall off, so what else could it be?

>> the other is how do i try to start
>> another connection without quitting and restarting NewtVNC again?
> This sounds like you are still connected (at least in it's little
> pinhead).

no, the disconnect box comes up, and it says "disconnected" in the top
right corner. how do i try to reconnect?

Tom I.