Re: [NTLK] dd revisited

From: George Bingham (georgeb1962_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 12:42:15 PDT

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:44:47 -0500, Jeff Sheldon <jeff_at_jurai.net> wrote:
> with me, so having just received a free compact flash reader, I put a 16Mb
> card to the test by first copying everything to a flat file:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda of=ata16.img
>
> Then after formatting the card as a whole (no partitions) with EXT2, I
> made sure it was blank and copied the data back:
>
> dd if=ata16.img of=/dev/sda
>
> Works fine.

Hi Jeff,

    Question: After you copied the data on the card to your linux
machine's hard drive using dd, you say you formatted it to EXT2 and
made sure it was blank before you copied it back... Did you do this as
a way of erasing the card completely to test whether you were really
about to restore to a blank card? Or do you have to do this in order
to write to the card using dd (in order to restore)?

   If I were to use your method top copy the contents of my Newton's
CF card to another CF card, would I have to format the 2nd CF card or
could I just use dd to write the data to it raw, right out of the
package, with no formatting?

Thanks,

George