Re: [NTLK] Getting Newtonbook data off the newton

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 22:59:14 PDT

Aux environs du 14/05/04 à 10:24 +1000, sous le titre "[NTLK] Getting
Newtonbook data off the newton", Joel Pigdon prit sa plus belle plume
pour écrire les mots suivants:
>1) newtonbook can print, unfortunately I dont have a printer, Is it
>remotely possible to turn my linux box into an emulated printer so the
>newton thinks it has a StyleWriter or LaserWriter connected to it. The
>linux box would then produce a raster tiff image or something like
>that. Has anyone heard of such a concept, I must admit It sounds
>slightly absurd but someone else ight have had another use for it.

You can use LPR Driver and set up your Mac or your Linux box to spool
the resulting PostScript. You can then convert it to PDF using ps2pdf.

This worked for me:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031116190809396

You'll need LPR Driver 1.0:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/lpr/

>2)the newton must store the sketch data somewhere, is it in the book
>soup itself or somewhere else all together. Does anyone have a clue as
>to where the data is stored or in what form and can it be easily read
>and reencoded as a bitmap

The sketches you do books are stored in a soup, not in the books
themselves (since the books are read only and the sketches remain
even if you delete the books).

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/